How To Find A Notary Public In Ontario

If you’re like me, the need for a notary public may not have arisen yet. Of course, when the time comes that you do need to meet with a notary public, you might find yourself in a difficult position. Where do you turn? How can you tell who is a notary public?

There are two types of notary publics, one being a lawyer notary public and the other being a non-lawyer notary public.

Before you turn off your computer to rush to the closest lawyer’s office, you should be aware that not all lawyers apply to become a public notary. You might be lucky but you might also be wasting your time.

As for non-notary publics, you may be looking for senior Government officials, patent & trademark agents, Ontario-registered corporations (only those of which whom engage in trade and/or commerce internationally or inter-provincially), or the head office of provincial or national unions (those of which whom are engaged in business outside of the province).

So here we are again, wondering how exactly we can find a notary public in some easier ways.

Thankfully, the attorney general office has a few tips to look at. Read through these carefully as these are very important and can make a difference for your results and wallet.

First off, you can simply check the yellow pages when you require notarized documents for your private and commercial transactions. If by now you have forgotten where to find the yellow pages, the digital world has brought them online for you. Which brings me to…

Google doesn’t seem to make it much easier, but the Canadian yellow pages page does show up on page 1. So while Google may not point out a notary public directly, at least it’ll help. Although if you do go through Google make sure to use the city name in your searches to find the closest notary.  Eg. Public notary Toronto would be the best way to find notaries in Toronto.

If you have affidavits that require being sworn in for certain court proceedings, it can be done by a court official only if they are authorized, of course. This may cost you a fee.

If you and your parents, or kids, have agreed to transferring or gifting a used vehicle to the other, you could get a sworn statement at a driving & vehicle licensing office.

If you’re filing in order to get a lost Government cheque, a child support payment, or funds from a student loan, you can have documents sworn at a Service Ontario before a commissioner.

Finally, if you’re looking to file for municipal business, you can head to city hall or your municipal office and meet with a clerk who can swear your documents in. City hall is free but the municipal office may charge fees.

Brought to you by a notary public Toronto

About Reva B. Williams